Friday, May 15, 2009

Retrieval Day

Today was one of the days we have been waiting for. Today I finally had my eggs retrieved! I was so scared (even with a Valium). Luckly when I got there I did not have to wait long to get called back. The nurses were so sweet and did a great job trying to calm my fears. (although it really did not work) they quickly gave me an  IV so that they could calm me down. I was wheeled back to the operation room and had to move to a different bed. I remember nothing after this until the nurse came and told me to wake up because it was all over. I had a little bit of stomach soreness but nothing unbearable. They were so great at doing anything needed to keep me comfortable. The best news is that they got 21 eggs! We were so excited!
The car ride home seemed like it would take forever! I finally made it to my bed and I was out! I slept the whole day away. But when I woke up, I was so hungry, I think I could have eaten a whole cow! I had soup from Demos (MMMMMM) and some ice cream instead. Don't you just love it when you are not feeling well and you can eat ice cream and not feel guilty about it. What a plus.
Tonight has been pretty uneventful. Just laying around and taking all the medication that they prescribed to me. I think that is really helping with the mild pain. I have to drink lots of Gatorade and eat lots of protein. This is supposed to help prevent a complication called OHSS. Basically it happens after retrieval when your ovaries are still very swollen and estrogen levels are also elevated(which mine are). It can cause fluid to build up in my belly and would have to be drained off with a needle. I am really hoping and praying I will be spared this awful side effect. I just keep praying for god to take care of me. He has blessed me more than I can put into words. 
Tomorrow I have to check my voicemail to see how many eggs were healthy and able to be fertilized. Then we go back next wednesday to have two of our embie babies put back in! I pray all goes well and my little embie babies get an good nights rest. 

No comments: